Don Argo Award
First presented in 2010, the Don Argo Award recognizes the best in Florida writing by SCWG members in memory of beloved educator, author of Canaveral Light, founding member of SCWG, and longtime Florida resident Don Argo.
Originally from Arkansas, Dr. Don Argo was a mathematics professor at Brevard Community College (now known as Eastern Florida State College) for 38 years. He was also a founding member and president of the Space Coast Writers’ Guild. He received a couple of awards for his historical novel Canaveral Light, which was published in 2001. Dr. Argo passed away from cancer at age 72 on October 19, 2008. He was survived by his wife of 33 years, Kathy; four children; and two grandchildren.
READ Argo Award Submission Rules & Guidelines.
2021 Argo Award
The 2021 Argo Award winner has been announced, and she is Peggy Insula! Congratulations, Peggy!
2021 Argo Award Winner
The winner of the 2021 Don Argo Award has been announced! At the October 16th meeting, Ashley McGrath awarded the Argo to Peggy Insula, for her book, Waiting Rooms: Cancer, COVID, and Courage, which recounts her journey with her husband, Eugenio, through his battle with stage four cancer.
Waiting Rooms is intended to offer humor and hope to all those whose lives have been touched by cancer. Peggy also wishes to honor all the medical professionals in the field of cancer treatment. They are performing miracles.
“I write to express the creativity we all have, in one way or another, as images of God.” (Peggy Insula)
2020 – Linda Zern, Keeping the Strandline.
2019 – Mark Lyons, Only in Florida: Mosquito Lagoon.
2018 – Linda Zern, The Gryphon’s Glade.
2017 – Dianna Narciso, Bury Me
2016 – Cindy Foley, The Truth Lies…a Florida Saga
Argo Award Guidelines & Rules
If you have written a book set in Florida or know of another author you would like to recommend for the award, please see our guidelines.
Authors may self-nominate or may be nominated by someone else. Submissions (which must include identification of the author, address, phone, email, book title, and year published) are being accepted from June 1 through August 22, 2021.
The submissions will be reviewed and scored by three judges. The Don Argo Award will be presented at the October 16, 2021 SCWG meeting.
The winner will receive a $250 check and an engraved plaque.
- The book may be Fiction or non-fiction (no poetry or children’s books).
- The book must have been published not more than two years immediately prior to the submission deadline.
- The book must be set substantially in Florida.
- The entrant must be a member of the Space Coast Writers’ Guild. Brevard County residents who are not Space Coast Writers’ Guild members may submit their work, along with a $40 non-refundable entry fee, which will earn them one full year of SCWG membership. Contact SCWG President Joanne Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Submit the first 50 pages (8.5″ by 11″ paper format, double-spaced, Times New Roman font, 12 point font size) by email to email@example.com.
- Only one submission will be accepted per SCWG member.
- Winners from the past three years are not eligible.
- The decision of the judges is final.
Join the Guild
Annual dues are $40. Monthly meetings are held the 3rd Saturday of each month at 1 PM at the Eau Gallie Public Library, 1521 Pineapple Avenue.