Don Argo Award
First presented in 2010, the Don Argo Award recognizes the best in Florida writing by SCWG members in memory of beloved educator, author of Canaveral Light, founding member of SCWG, and longtime Florida resident Don Argo.
Originally from Arkansas, Dr. Don Argo was a mathematics professor at Brevard Community College (now known as Eastern Florida State College) for 38 years. He was also a founding member and president of the Space Coast Writers’ Guild. He received a couple of awards for his historical novel Canaveral Light, which was published in 2001. Dr. Argo passed away from cancer at age 72 on October 19, 2008. He was survived by his wife of 33 years, Kathy; four children; and two grandchildren.
READ Argo Award Submission Rules & Guidelines.
2021 Argo Award
The 2022 Argo Award winner has been announced, and he is James R. Nelson! Congratulations, James!
2022 Argo Award Winner
James R. Nelson
At the Space Coast Writers Guild 40th Anniversary meeting on October 15, 2022, Don Argo Award Chair Ashley McGrath awarded the coveted Don Argo Award to James R. Nelson, for his novel Fatal Assumptions. James received the DonArgo Award plaque, a check for $250, and a copy of Don Argo’s novel, Canaveral Light.The Guild congratulates James on receiving this prestigious award.
2022 –James R. Nelson, Fatal Assumptions
2020 – Linda Zern, Keeping the Strandline.
2019 – Mark Lyons, Only in Florida: Mosquito Lagoon.
2018 – Linda Zern, The Gryphon’s Glade
2017 – Dianna Narciso, Bury Me
Argo Award Guidelines & Rules
If you have written a book set in Florida or know of another author you would like to recommend for the award, please see our guidelines.
Authors may self-nominate or may be nominated by someone else. Submissions, which are generally taken between June 1 and August 31 of each year, must include the author’s name, address, phone, email, book title, and year published.
The submissions are reviewed and scored by three judges. An engraved plaque, along with a $250 check and a copy of Don Argo’s novel Canaveral Light, is presented at the October SCWG meeting.
- The book may be Fiction or non-fiction (no poetry or children’s books).
- The book must have been published not more than two years immediately prior to the submission deadline.
- The book must be set substantially in Florida.
- The entrant must be a member of the Space Coast Writers’ Guild. Brevard County residents who are not Space Coast Writers’ Guild members may submit their work, along with a $40 non-refundable entry fee, which will earn them one full year of SCWG membership. Contact SCWG President Joanne Fisher at [email protected] for more details.
- Submit the first 50 pages (8.5″ by 11″ paper format, double-spaced, Times New Roman font, 12 point font size) by email to [email protected].
- Only one submission will be accepted per SCWG member.
- Winners from the past three years are not eligible.
- The decision of the judges is final.
Join the Guild
Annual dues are $40. Monthly meetings are held the 3rd Saturday of each month at 1 PM at the Eau Gallie Public Library, 1521 Pineapple Avenue.